What are CHEMICAL CHANGES and PROPERTIES?
CHEMICAL PROPERTIES: Properties that can be observed during or after a chemical reaction. Examples are how easily something catches fire (flammability), decomposition, reactivity with air (rust), water, how toxic it might be.
- A change that occurs when one or more substances change into entirely new substances with different properties.
- Substances present at the beginning of the change are NOT present at the end.
- Cannot or are very difficult to undo!
Different signs include
- an odor is produced
- light or smoke is seen
- temperature change- it takes in or gives off heat
- production of gas bubbles
- color change (like rusting)
- Bozeman Science: Physical and Chemical Changes– http://www.bozemanscience.com/physical-chemical-changes/
- Physical vs Chemical Changes– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcunQqbNEMQ
- Physical vs Chemical Changes with Mark and Molly– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8tyjwB42X4
- Crash Course: Kitchen Chemical Changes– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37pir0ej_SE
- Physical and Chemical Changes for Kids– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgM3e8YZxuc
- Chemical vs Physical Changes- https://www.learner.org/courses/essential/physicalsci/session4/closer1.html
- Chemical Reactions/Changes
- 10 Examples of Everyday Chemical Reactions- http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemicalreactions/ss/10-Examples-of-Chemical-Reactions-in-Everyday-Life.htm#showall
- Chemical Change Examples- http://www.buzzle.com/articles/chemical-change-examples.html
- Examples of Chemical Changes- http://www.chemistryforkids.net/reactions/what-is-a-chemical-change
- Physical Changes
- 10 Examples of Physical Changes- http://chemistry.about.com/od/matter/a/10-Physical-Change-Examples.htm
- Physical Change Examples- http://www.softschools.com/examples/science/physical_changes_examples/170/
LET’S PLAY (Use Chrome)
- Choose: Is it a physical or chemical change? http://vital.cs.ohiou.edu/steamwebsite/downloads/ChangeLab.swf
- Glencoe Physical and Chemical Change Virtual Lab- http://www.glencoe.com/sites/common_assets/science/virtual_labs/E03/E03.html
- Reversable (physical) and Irreversable (chemical) Changes, BBC- http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/scienceclips/ages/10_11/rev_irrev_changes_fs.shtml
LAB INFORMATION RESOURCES
- Exploritorium: scroll down the page for information on how this works and other questions to ask.
- Science Bob: has reaction information and things to test.