Go to this link and wait for the password: http://www.quia.com/quiz/5347062.html
You are getting ready for a quiz this week! Take these to practice-
- Plate Boundaries Practice Test 2017: http://www.quia.com/quiz/6370077.html
Quizlets to Practice
- Plate Boundaries- https://quizlet.com/24116012/plate-boundaries-flash-cards/
- Drifting Continents- https://quizlet.com/23828107/drifting-continents-flash-cards/
Kahoot Practice– https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/bba3faa6-40ac-4f87-bb40-acbcd7e78d0f
Our Moving Earth- Scientists to Know– plate_tectonic_scientists
John Tuzo Wilson– Talking about transform faults: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmrXy65O6fY
EarthGuide Online Classroom- http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/eoc/teachers/t_tectonics/t_tectonics.html
How does seafloor spreading work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eka88IOJ-I
- WATCH– Harry Hess, Seafloor Spreading, the Mid-Atlantic Ridge with Bill Nye– (8:05) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CsTTmvX6mc
- WATCH- Magnetic Reversals and Sea Floor Spreading– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCzCmldiaWQ
- WATCH– What happens when the Earth’s magnetic fields reverse? (3:02) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ou1BiorYRNU
- Seafloor Spreading Sing-a-Long? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAa8IbXxF1c
Click on the quiz link and wait for the password:
Continue working on the packets and questions when you are done.
QUIZ TOMORROW ON EARTH’S LAYERS:
WARM-UP: Earth’s Layers Practice Test 2017: http://www.quia.com/quiz/6370450.html
HYPOTHESIS– People say that a hypothesis is “an educated guess”. Well, there is NO guessing going on when someone makes a hypothesis. “In science, a hypothesis is an idea or explanation that you then test through study and experimentation.” (vocab.com) Before a scientist makes a hypothesis, they do research, ask questions, and then do more research. It is not just a “guess” that someone then has to prove is true or false.
THEORY– Britannica for Kids describes a scientific theory as, “an explanation for why things work or how things happen. Scientists develop theories based on their observations of the world around them. Theories are based on ideas that can be tested. Theories are not speculative, or based on a guess.”
For an idea to become a theory, there has to be not just one piece of evidence proven to be true or not true, but many pieces. Ideas are tested over and over and over before they become a trusted theory.
- Alfred Wegener: Great Minds (4:55)– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbU809Cyrao
- Alfred Wegener’s Theory of Continental Drift (4:58)– Good evidence examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiTXdTAC95A
- Animated Life: Pangea, Wegener, and Continental Drift — HHMI BioInteractive Video-(7:36) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJZ0ySEKYg
- Continental Drift- 100 Greatest Discoveries (2:12)– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDKiNwTwaNw
- The Pangea Pop-Up (4:25)– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vNSqUy0l4
- What Happens When Continents Collide? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PddQvyiBfdc&t=10s
THE FINALE– Continental Drift: Alfred Wegener Song by The Amoeba People–https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1-cES1Ekto
IMAGES OF WEGENER’S EVIDENCE
Class Notes- (not from our class…but could be) http://www.brunswickschools.org/cms/lib3/OH01001261/Centricity/Domain/399/Continental%20Drift%20Table%20-%20Completed.pdf
READ AND DO You have a worksheet over the following reading.
- Ch 3 Drifting Continents– The Information We are Reading!
- Great site– http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/eoc/teachers/t_tectonics/p_map_plate_layers_bath.ht
- Global Plate Reconstruction– http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/eoc/teachers/t_tectonics/p_plate_reconstruction_blakey.html
- What if Pangea Still Existed? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFdUh6j3aE
- 70 Million Years in Two Minutes- The Himalayas Forming- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuSHOQ6gv5Y
GREEK PROJECT REMINDERS
- Don’t forget to be working on your physical model and summary.
- I will extend the due date until the end of next week because of conflicts with band and chorus times.
- Remember: YOU ARE BEING ASSESSED ACCORDING TO THE CRITERIA that has been handed out to you and is also posted in Google Classroom!
- You will have two quizzes coming up next week. The practice quizzes are below.
LOGGING IN TO QUIA
- To the Site: Click on one of the links below for the assigned practice quizzes. You will see the picture below:
- To Login:
- Write as ONE WORD, ALL LOWER CASE, NO SPACES your first and last name with the number 353 at the end.
- For example: kevinarsenault353
- For most people it will be your full, formal name. There are a couple exceptions and I will let you know what they are.
- Password: Your POWERSCHOOL ID number.
These are assigned quizzes. That means you must do them. You should take them over and over until you know the answers and information. The actual quizzes are almost exactly like the practice quizzes.