QUIZ TOMORROW ON EARTH’S LAYERS:
WARM-UP: Earth’s Layers Practice Test 2017: http://www.quia.com/quiz/6370450.html
HYPOTHESIS– People say that a hypothesis is “an educated guess”. Well, there is NO guessing going on when someone makes a hypothesis. “In science, a hypothesis is an idea or explanation that you then test through study and experimentation.” (vocab.com) Before a scientist makes a hypothesis, they do research, ask questions, and then do more research. It is not just a “guess” that someone then has to prove is true or false.
THEORY– Britannica for Kids describes a scientific theory as, “an explanation for why things work or how things happen. Scientists develop theories based on their observations of the world around them. Theories are based on ideas that can be tested. Theories are not speculative, or based on a guess.”
For an idea to become a theory, there has to be not just one piece of evidence proven to be true or not true, but many pieces. Ideas are tested over and over and over before they become a trusted theory.
- Alfred Wegener: Great Minds (4:55)– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbU809Cyrao
- Alfred Wegener’s Theory of Continental Drift (4:58)– Good evidence examples https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiTXdTAC95A
- Animated Life: Pangea, Wegener, and Continental Drift — HHMI BioInteractive Video-(7:36) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgJZ0ySEKYg
- Continental Drift- 100 Greatest Discoveries (2:12)– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDKiNwTwaNw
- The Pangea Pop-Up (4:25)– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-vNSqUy0l4
- What Happens When Continents Collide? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PddQvyiBfdc&t=10s
THE FINALE– Continental Drift: Alfred Wegener Song by The Amoeba People–https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1-cES1Ekto
IMAGES OF WEGENER’S EVIDENCE
Class Notes- (not from our class…but could be) http://www.brunswickschools.org/cms/lib3/OH01001261/Centricity/Domain/399/Continental%20Drift%20Table%20-%20Completed.pdf
READ AND DO You have a worksheet over the following reading.
- Ch 3 Drifting Continents– The Information We are Reading!
- Great site– http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/eoc/teachers/t_tectonics/p_map_plate_layers_bath.ht
- Global Plate Reconstruction– http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/eoc/teachers/t_tectonics/p_plate_reconstruction_blakey.html
- What if Pangea Still Existed? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaFdUh6j3aE
- 70 Million Years in Two Minutes- The Himalayas Forming- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuSHOQ6gv5Y