- Go to NOTABILITY.
- Create a new SUBJECT under science called ROCKS AND MINERALS
- 1. What is a Mineral? WATCH
- 2. Properties of Minerals– Read and do worksheet based on Properties of Minerals
- Download this document and put it into NOTABILITY under ROCKS AND MINERALS.
- Use this document for your WARM-UP and to do the chart on mineral properties.
- These resources may be helpful as well: https://fitz6.wordpress.com/2012/04/25/properties-of-minerals/
- 3. Basics of Rocks and Minerals: WATCH– Stop when they get to rocks!
- 4. How do minerals form?
- WATCH (ignore the speaker’s reference to notes you should have): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYvye0CVbU0
- READ http://www.ck12.org/book/CK-12-Earth-Science-Concepts-For-Middle-School/section/3.5/
- Minerals form as magma or lava cools.
- Minerals form from the cooling of hot fluids. These mixtures (or solutions: a mixture when one substance is dissolved in another) include solid particles that form minerals once the hot fluids have cooled down.
- Minerals form from dissolved solutions when water evaporates.
- Choose a mineral from the box on your table.
- Use the handout from Ms. Fitz to study and test your mineral. (We will be doing most of this together.)
SEARCH FOR YOUR MINERAL and CHECK YOUR TESTS
- FACT SEARCH: Google, use a book, and LOOK UP facts about your mineral. How is it used? Other?
- These other websites might be helpful:
- MINEROLOGY 4 KIDS– Great site! http://www.mineralogy4kids.org
- Great easy to understand website on minerals and rocks- http://www.rocksforkids.com/2how.html
- Minerals- http://www.ducksters.com/science/earth_science/minerals.php
- Earth Science Interactive Glossary– https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/interactive-science-glossary/id792926257?mt=8
- Earth Viewer-by Howard Hughs Medical- https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/earthviewer/id590208430?mt=8