SPHERES AND THEIR CONNECTIONS
WARM UP and the BIG IDEA
- Brainstorm with group members the answer/ideas to the following questions:
- How do Earth’s major systems interact?
- How do changes in one system impact changes in another?
- Use RACE and type up an answer to one of these questions based on what you understand at this point. Glue it on pages 30 or 31 in your science journal.
INSPIRATION MAP (DUE Monday, December 7th)
- What are the major resources you used when doing your Inspiration map? We created a mini-map to include major links.
- Scoring Rubric is shared with students to use to double check work: earth’s systems mapping project
WEATHERING, EROSION, AND DEPOSITION
PART 1- DOWNLOAD and put into Notability
- First create a new section called Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition
- Download this: weathering-and-erosion
- Download this: Red Chapter 11
- Great collection of pictures and descriptions of the different types of weathering- http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction/gifted_ed/project_promise/science_curriculum/grade_two/handouts/earth_science/weathering_erosion_pictures.pdf
PART 2- LOOK UP and find images and definitions. Put on vocabulary sheet handout.
PART 3- PLAY- the sorting game Ms Fitz has for you. (We’ll do this twice. Once before the movie and once after.)
PART 4- WATCH
- Weathering, Erosion, Deposition– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHi2gBt7gzc
- Crash Course Kids: Weathering and Erosion- How does the hydrosphere effect the geosphere? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Iak3Wvh9c
- Weathering and Erosion- SFScienceMuseum- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLy0wpchwSo
- Bill Nye:
Weathering and Erosion- great site: http://www.k5geosource.org/1content/1sc/rocks/pg4.html
Weathering: Physical, Chemical, Biological- https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/ks3/gsl/education/resources/rockcycle/page3461.html
Chemical and Physical Weathering- http://www.skwirk.com/p-c_s-12_u-198_t-554_c-2063/weathering-chemical-and-physical/nsw/
- Introduction to Erosion-Geology for Kids- http://www.kidsgeo.com/geology-for-kids/0059-introduction-to-erosion.php
- Weathering, Erosion, and Deposition- http://www.scienceiq.com/Facts/WeatheringErosionDeposition.cfm
- Deposition Facts for Kids- http://www.ehow.com/info_8512606_deposition-kids.html
- What is physical (mechanical) weathering? http://www.k5geosource.org/1content/1sc/rocks/pg5.html
- What is chemical weathering? http://www.k5geosource.org/1content/1sc/rocks/pg6.html
- Erosion v.s. Weathering- http://www.diffen.com/difference/Erosion_vs_Weathering
- Weathering v.s. Erosion, NPS- http://www2.nature.nps.gov/GEOLOGY/usgsnps/misc/gweaero.html
- Geological History of the Grand Canyon- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBYvCJLb7tE
Deposition of Sediment- Geological Society-https://www.geolsoc.org.uk/ks3/gsl/education/resources/rockcycle/page3463.html
Landforms Created by Deposition
Glacial Erosion and Deposition- http://www.ck12.org/section/Glacial-Erosion-and-Deposition-::of::-HS-Erosion-and-Deposition/