- Begin class with a comparison of different charts showing biological hierarchies.
- Students will make a comparison/contrast of these charts in their science journals.
- Groups will order cards showing individual parts of a hierarchy from smallest to largest. After being checked by the teacher, they will copy this organized list into their science journal from smallest to largest.
- Students receive a handout showing two different hierarchies. We will highlight and discuss the side that extends only to the living organism.
- They will answer two questions on the OUTPUT side of their science journal:
- Biological hierarchies are……
- The point that something is alive in my hierarchy is… Why is it alive at that point?
JOURNAL ENTRY RUBRIC– Journal Entry_Biological Hierarchy