Focus Questions- Be able to answer all of these questions below:
- What are the types of stress that occur in the crust and how does this stress change the Earth’s surface?
- Where are faults usually found and why do they form?
- What land features result from the forces of plate movement?
Vocabulary: stress, compression, tension, shearing, normal fault, strike-slip fault, hanging wall, reverse fault, strike-slip fault, anticline, syncline, plateau
- Inside Earth-Forces in Earth’s Crust–Section 1– This section describes the forces found in Earth’s crust and the types of faults. OR Download and put into Notability.
ONLINE for REINFORCEMENT OF UNDERSTANDING
- Where do Earthquakes Happen and Types of Faults– http://www.geo.mtu.edu/UPSeis/where.html
- Plate Tectonics and Faults– excellent site! http://www.srh.noaa.gov/jetstream/tsunami/plates.htm
- Fault Motion Animations– Iris Education- http://www.iris.washington.edu/gifs/animations/faults.htm
- Normal Fault– http://www.iris.edu/hq/files/programs/education_and_outreach/aotm/2/NormalFault.mov
- Reverse Fault– http://www.iris.edu/hq/files/programs/education_and_outreach/aotm/2/ReverseFault.mov
- Strike Slip Fault– http://www.iris.edu/hq/files/programs/education_and_outreach/aotm/2/StrikeSlipFault.mov
- NOAA Slide Show and Images of Actual REAL Faults– http://www.iris.washington.edu/gifs/slides/faults/slideshow/index.htm
- Types of Earthquake Faults– https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkbkghWJeI
- Fault Models Lecture– http://www.iris.edu/hq/files/programs/education_and_outreach/aotm/2/FaultModelsLecture.mov