What does that mean?
- They are solids.
- Inorganic– they are not alive or made of living things.
- Homogeneous– are made of the same material throughout.
- Occurs naturally– formed by a process that occurs naturally in the earth.
- Crystalline structure– particles of a mineral line up in a pattern that repeats over and over again.
- Definite chemical composition– a mineral contains certain elements in definite amounts. They have the same chemical make-up throughout.
Ground Rules: video, sustainable mining- http://video.mining.com/videos/2076c0/ground_rules_%28caterpillar%29.aspx
RESOURCES for EVERYDAY USES OF MINERALS
Minerals Used in Your Home– Interactive- http://content3.jason.org/resource_content/content/digitallab/9958/misc_content/minerals.html
SITE FOR THE DATA TABLE
- Minerals and Their Uses– http://www.scienceviews.com/geology/minerals.html
OTHER USEFUL SITES
- How We Use Minerals– http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/thezone/minerals/usage/home.htm
- Common Minerals and Their Uses– http://www.mii.org/commonminerals.html
- Northwest Mining- Uses for Minerals– http://www.nwma.org/education/Uses%20for%20Minerals.htm
- Minerals for Health– http://kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/food/minerals.html
- Minerals (Diet and Nutrition)– http://www.ivy-rose.co.uk/HumanBiology/Nutrition/Minerals.php
- Minerals in the Human Body– http://www.bloodindex.com/minerals.php
- Minerals Mix and Match– http://www.oum.ox.ac.uk/thezone/minerals/usage/games/set01.htm